1. Do I need a student visa to take classes at BAE?
Immigration law states that if a person's main objective for entering the United States is to study in a full time course (18 hours or more per week), then they should get a student visa. This means that students taking the Intensive, Super-Intensive or TEFL course will require a student visa. However, we also have options for students who are travelling on tourist visa or who have a visa waiver. These students may join our Standard course or any of our Part Time programs.
2. Can I use the student visa I already have?
Yes, however you will need to transfer your I-20 from the last school you attended to the Boston Academy of English. Please contact us if you have any questions about how you can transfer to our school.
3. How do I get a student visa if I don't already have one?
If your primary intent of coming to the United States is to study, then you will need to enter this country on a F-1 student visa. You must obtain this student visa at an American consulate or embassy in your home country. The Boston Academy of English can assist you in the process of obtaining a student visa by issuing you a Certificate of Eligibility, or I-20.
In order to issue you an I-20, you must complete the following steps:
- Complete and submit our online application: http://www.bostonacademyofenglish.com/apply.htm
- Make a $220 payment to the Boston Academy of English. This payment payment includes a $150 application fee and a $70 charge for sending your I-20 by international courier (DHL). You can make this $220 payment by credit card when completing the online application, or via any of our acceptable payment methods.
- Submit a bank statement with a minimum balance of 4,000 USD or its equivelant in your local currency. Also the bank statement should not be older than 60 days.
- Submit a copy of your passport.
As soon as we get these documents we will process your I-20 whithin 48 hours and ship it to your address by DHL shotrly thereafter.
If the bank documentation is not in your name, you must attach a sponsor form, or a letter from your sponsor. The sponsor form or letter is required to demonstrate that your sponsor is willing to finance your studies, and also that he/she understands the costs and refund policies of the Boston Academy of English.
The financial documentation and sponsor form (if applicable), should be faxed to us at : + (1) (617) 695-9349 or by e-mail on a PDF.
Receiving your I-20:
Once you have submitted your application, made the $220 payment, and submitted the appropriate financial documentation, we will mail your I-20 and official letter of acceptance to you within 2 business days.
With your I-20, you can make an appointment with the appropriate American embassy or consulate in your country.
Also you will need to pay the SEVIS fee to the US immigration department before you go to the appointment in the American Embassy. The best way to do it is filling the application form on the SEVIS website and paying the $200 fee with your credit card. Make sure you print out the receipt since you will be asked to show it to the American Embassy official.
4. What is Boston like?
Boston is a vibrant, beautiful city with a rich history and many of the world's best-known universities. It is also a city by the ocean, which means that going to the beach in the summer is a favorite pastime. In addition, public transportation in Boston is very good, as compared to other US cities; making it very easy to see all of the historical and cultural attractions of the area.
5. Where will I live while I'm at school?
- Family Homestay- (single room): This option includes breakfast and dinner with your host family every day. Host families are typically 30-45 minutes distance from the school. The family could have more than one student staying in the house.
- Cambridge Residence-: Shared room with 2 students. Minimum age for this option 18 years old. This option is 20 minutes from the school.
- See our Housing section for even more options
6. Do you offer activities whilst i'm not in class?
Yes! We have a monthly calendar which includes free or cheap daily activities to local museums and other attractions such as whale watching or sporting events. On the weekend, we arrange fun trips like the beach, amusement parks, snow skiing or visiting New York City!
7. How long will it take me to learn English?
This is completely dependant on your current level and your study goals. The good news is that we offer 7 different levels, so that all students can get the help that they need, regardless of their level.
In our full time programs, each level is twelve weeks. Therefore you should be able to progress to the the next level every twelve weeks as long as you do your homework, participate in class and do well on your tests.
8. What is the average class size at BAE?
The average class size at BAE is 11 students.
9. How much does it cost to go to BAE?
It varies depending on the program you are interested in taking. To find all our prices please click here: http://www.bostonacademyofenglish.com/price-offers/FullTimePrograms.htm
10. Do you offer night or weekend classes?
Yes! We offer two types of Part-Time classes:
- Evenings: 6-week course, Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6:15 to 8:15pm
- Saturdays: 6-week course, Saturday mornings 9:30am - 1:00pm.
11. How do I register for classes at BAE?
To apply what you need to do is to fill out our online application form here: http://www.bostonacademyofenglish.com/apply.htm
Make a payment of $220 for your registration and courier fees. You may also be charged a $100 housing placement fee, if you have requested housing. Your final payment for the remainder of you course balance should be received two weeks before the start of the course you are enrolling for.
12. Do you offer online English classes?
No, not at this time but we do offer one-on-one instruction and we pride ourselves on our flexibility. Call us @ 617-774-2902 to discuss your options.